Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A good trip

Back to work now. That's something I didn't miss over the weekend!

The trip went well. I left on Thursday night, hoping to get a lot of the driving out of the way before daytime traffic. Little did I realize just how tired I was.

After about 130 miles I absolutely HAD to pull over at a rest stop and get some sleep. I set my alarm for an hour later and when it went off, set it for another hour. Thought I would be good to go from then on, but the cycle repeated itself two more times! I'd drive an hour and then have to sleep an hour. Once I woke up from the third nap, I finally felt refreshed enough to drive the rest of the way. I picked up my daughter from college and got to Atlanta just in time for rush hour :-P



























Smooth sailing after we cleared ATL, all the way to Auburn. Got there in time to go to the Friday night pep rally at Toomer's Corner. Met up with the family we were staying with at the rally. Had dinner at a place called Cheeburger Cheeburger. Not a bad burger! Got to know my friend, Britt's family better. It's the first time I've met his kids. Nice bunch -ages ranged from 4 to 16. Very well behaved and full of those southern manners (yes Sir; no Sir; yes Ma'am; no Ma'am). They really hit it off with my daughter. She had her own entourage for the rest of the weekend.

After dinner, we drove to the motel in Opelika. Knights Inn is owned by an ethnic group that I used to consider fastidious in the cleanliness department. The chain must certainly be better than this one particular link. At least I hope so. This was probably the worst motel I've ever stayed in. Everything was old and worn. The walls looked like they were being held together by the not so fresh paint. Roaches in the bathroom. Tub/shower that you would hesitate to step in to and absolutely wouldn't sit in. Toilet... well, let's just say that it was long past time to renovate.

What are you going to do? SEC football is a BIG deal. Most home games in any SEC city are sold out a year in advance and the hotels and motels in the area get booked solid months before each game. We were lucky to find this place 10 miles away. Would have had to drive another 30 minutes to find something better.

More later

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Glad you had a good time - despite the nastiness of the hotel!! :)

November 07, 2007 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home