Sunday, October 21, 2007

Frustrating (sorry for the rant)

Both my favorite football teams lost this weekend in the last 2 minutes of the game.

Auburn found a way to forget how they played in the first half and gave up what would have been a fantastic win against LSU.

Philadelphia allowed Chicago to run all over them in the last drive of the game. 'Course it took most of the game for them to actually score a touchdown...

Enough football.


My second daughter came home from college for the weekend. She wanted to visit with her boyfriend and check out another school to possibly transfer to. I think she wanted to see her family as well, but I haven't seen her yet, so I don't know if that's true or not.
She has been obsessed with having me help her buy a car so she can get around to her job and go places down at school. I do mean obsessed! She's called me and written me emails. The thing is, she wants to pick the car (a late model smaller car). I'm not able to afford covering a loan on one of these newer cars. For some reason, she can't seem to understand that.
So I was able to find an older car (1991) in great condition with a reasonable amount of miles on it. I personally know the former owner.
Well, she really has given me a hard time about this car, and I'm to the point of selling it to someone else. She hadn't even seen it before she was talking bad about it. She told me that all I ever bought were junkers that were constantly breaking down.
The fact is, that none of the cars I have bought for the kids to drive have EVER broken down. They have had some maintenance needs, but nothing an experienced adult wouldn't find reasonable.
Anyway, I spent a good bit of time documenting all that was done to the last few cars. Figuring total cost of ownership for them and comparing to a newer car (including insurance and fuel estimates). It comes down to costing her $300 less per month to go with the car I found vs. what she was wanting. Sounds good to me, how about you?
I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow. The car needs to be run through inspection and have the title transferred to my name. I don't know if I'm going to let her take it down. She really has hurt my feelings about this.
I know I'm the parent and I need to have thick skin when dealing with my kids, but it still can be hard to take the abuse and be willing to do the extras like the car.

Pray for me. I need to have grace in dealing with the lack of gratitude from the kids. I need to express more gratitude myself in my life and show that as an example to my kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home