Monday, October 08, 2007

Broken records or bones or something...

I went to my oldest son's cross country meet on Saturday. Got there just in time to see him before he found out his group was supposed to be on the starting line with about 60 other kids from 20 schools. Seems they moved his team into the B class instead of their usual C class. Funny to watch the 5 of them jump a stone wall and sprint down the hill about 300 yards! The race started about 30 seconds after they got there!

I decided to walk to a spot at the halfway point and cheer them on. Once there, I noticed the runners approaching up the hill. I cheered as each of his teammates passed one by one. Funny... he's usually at the lead of this bunch of runners...

All of the runners have passed now and his coach comes up to me and asks if I saw him go by. I say no. Coach heads down the hill to look for him. The rest of the varsity team is getting concerned too and a few of them head back on the course to look for him.

I head back to the team tent to wait. There's no way I would have been able to help on course anyway if he was hurt. After a bit, I head over to the finish line and see that all of his teammates have finished their run. No one knows where he is.

Then I see one of the varsity kids waving me to the first aid tent. There sits my son getting his ankle taped. Apparently, he took a bad step on a root and rolled his ankle. He was in traffic at the 1 mile mark and couldn't see the ground as well as he should have. Fortunately, they had a golf cart to carry him back to first aid. The trainer thinks it might be broken and recommends heading to the emergency room for x-rays.

My son is disappointed because he really felt good on the run and thought he would have his personal best. Hard to console him and keep him from being angry at himself.

We go to the emergency room (only 6 miles away for once!) and have the x-rays done. The doctor can't tell for sure if there is a break. The pain is in the area of the growth plates at the end of the bones right above the ankle. They put a boot on him and tell us to make an appointment with orthopedics for later in the week.

The boy is to stay off his foot as much as possible over the next few days until we know for sure. If he is too active, he can permanently damage those plates and have irregular growth in his legs. Not sure how I'm supposed to keep this ADHD freak still for a few days. It's almost impossible!

Here it is only Monday and I've already had to get him off the trampoline and stop him from chasing his siblings around the house. Also have had to remind him several times to leave the boot on. Oh well... guess I should have had them put the temporary cast on and make him use crutches. Doubt that would have slowed him down either.

Guess it must not hurt that much. He hasn't asked for Motrin except for once.

I'll update when I get more info.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home