Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Work, settlement and broken bones

I spent much of the Labor Day weekend doing just that... laboring.
I guess it's good to have the opportunities to earn the extra cash, but I think there needs to be a better balance in my life.

I had 1100 extra overtime hours last year (in addition to all the overtime that is built in to my schedule).
So far this year, I am at 400 extra overtime hours. Not as many as last year, but still a lot!

Settlement on the old house is in nine days! It will be nice to retire close to a quarter million in debt. 'Course, I'll also be getting rid of a quarter million in assets. So the debt to asset ratio will remain the same.

We actually have our current home on the market as well. Mainly to gauge interest, but there is always the possibility that if the right offer comes along... Our agent had a call on it this weekend and they want to look at it next week.

Rumor has it that the Fed is possibly going to lower the prime rate. This will be a nice change from the last couple of raises in rate. I'm hoping to refinance my adjustable real soon. It's not due to go up for a couple of years yet, but I'd just as soon lock in now as later. I'd be real happy with 5.5%


My fourth son fell on Sunday. Some of his brothers say he was climbing on the roof and fell from there to the picnic table (about 5'). He denies being on the roof. Either way, my wife spent about 5 hours on Monday at the hospital waiting and getting the results of x-rays. He broke one of the bones in his arm... his writing arm... Why does this happen the first week of school to a boy that struggles with writing!? Oh well. He's almost 10 and this is his first broken bone, so I guess he's doing pretty good overall. It was too swollen to cast it, so they splinted it for a while. This just means another trip (and the extra cost) to the hospital in a day or two for a cast. I haven't been keeping track, but I think we are somewhere around 9 or 10 broken bones for all my kids combined. Not too bad considering how active they all are. One nose, 3 or 4 arms, an elbow, a couple of toes, one leg, and an ankle. I think that's all of them. My wife broke a finger, and I broke my collar bone.
We ought to just have an orthopedist on retainer...

That's all for now.
I'm sure the excitement will crank up again in a day or two and I'll be writing again.
Thanks for reading and commenting (September!).

1 Comments:

Blogger fatchans said...

I read. I keep forgetting how to log-in to blogger now that my email accounts got switched around.

Hope your kid is less swollen now.

September 07, 2007 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home