Friday, July 08, 2005

Day Off?! Yeah right :-P

I spent most of yesterday in that hole that me and the boys dug last week. In order to make sure the wall doesn't have further leaks, I/we are tamping the dirt quite a bit as it goes back in. Packing each 2-4" takes a lot of time especially with just a hand tamper. The depth of the hole was about 6 1/2', length is 15', so you can imagine how much work it is to fill and tamp. We got it halfway done yesterday. Unfortunately, it is raining like crazy today, so I'm sure the rest of the hole will be filled and mucky, which will put me even further behind.

I gotta give big props to my oldest son. He has stuck by me throughout this whole project. When we were digging, he got lots of blisters and I was real surprised that he came back out and continued the job. I'm really proud of him. Some of the other kids are helping too, but not as much. Sometimes I wonder why I start projects like this. I know that I will benefit from the time with my son, but it may have just been better to contract it out and then take the boy to the park...

Sympathies to those in London who are dealing with the fallout from these attacks. My old church had a team there last week. Glad they got out before this happened. My nephews were to fly into London yesterday and catch a connecting flight to NYC. They are visiting family with their Dad. I'm pretty sure they were able to get in and out fine. Haven't heard, yet, but from what information I've been able to gather, they kept things fairly normal at the airport.

I'm back to work today at my "day job". I'll be working the next three days then it back on nights for 6 more. So that's 9 days before I get another "day off".

My oldest daughter has approached my folks about moving back in with them so she can get back on her feet. This is a good thing. It took a lot for her to humble herself and write them a note asking. I'm hoping she can make it work and that she will also get a second job so she can knock out some of her bills.

Thanks to my folks for their willingness to open their home again for her. It's hard on them since she can be a challenge and they are such creatures of habit. I'll be praying for all of them. I guess she got tired of living in multiple homes on couches with most of her possessions in her car. We make decisions in our lives that have consequences. She has chosen to live in a way that is tough on her. I think I've shown her that she is still loved and welcome in our house. We would make a place for her if she would be willing to actually try to be a part of the family. She hasn't progressed that far yet. I can see light at the end of the tunnel, though.

I still need to take a couple of kids out for birthday lunches. Hopefully I will be able to muster the energy to do that in the next few days. They have really been patient with me with having to wait so long. I really do have great kids!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home