Monday, January 28, 2008

More about the injury

I was reminded of which of my kids don't handle this type of accident well and which do. A couple were almost hysterical in their panic, some fairly neutral and a couple became withdrawn and fearful. I think we've gotten most of them past that and comforted. The amount of blood and the way it was dripped into a couple of rooms, all down his clothes (and my wife's), probably freaked them out the most. I don't recall any of the other kids bleeding that much or that fast before. I just had to send some of them outside so that we would be better able to calm him down. My wife did real well with that whole blood thing for as long as she could. Once the paramedics were there, she was able to take a few minutes away and lay down. She had gotten very pale and sickly looking. I'm proud of the way she held that off for as long as she did.

It was interesting to watch my son as different things would happen. He was fairly predictable in how he reacted to each activity. Granted, he was miserable and didn't want anyone to mess with him. He would fight as hard as he could to keep the paramedics, nurses and doctors from touching him. No matter how much they talked to him, he wouldn't be convinced that they weren't going to cause him more pain and discomfort. I realize that this is typical for his age. Fortunately, my wife was able to settle him down between each new poke and prod.

When the stitches were finally in, and he was released from the board that they strapped him to, he stood up on the gurney, stomped his foot, folded his arms and gave everyone a look that communicated his indignance very clearly. I almost started laughing and wish I'd had my camera. It was classic behavior and helped everyone know that he was going to be just fine.

My wife is doing the best she can to keep him settled today. He's his old self and wants to race around the house and do all his usual activities.

2 Comments:

Blogger m_r_d said...

Glad to here everything is ok and your son is on the mend! I've been putting in pretty long hours since Herb has been off recovering from the stents they had to put in, but handling it pretty well.

Take care and know I keep you in my prayers.

January 31, 2008 1:27 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Yikes, that sounds scary. I'm glad he's OK, though. I did something almost identical as a child--though I don't remember it. I think I was dancing or playing or something, and fell off a little stool, hit my head on the fireplace, and there was blood everywhere.

Rest assured, the only thing that remains is a small little patch on my head where my hair doesn't grow - and THAT didn't even get discovered until about 2 or 3 years ago!!!

February 04, 2008 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home