Friday, December 28, 2007

Mixed Feelings

Christmas was a mixture of feelings for me this year.

We hosted my extended family (most of them) at our home. We've actually been having all of the family gatherings at our house the last couple of years. I think it's easier on us to not have to pack up and drive. I'm pretty sure my wife likes it that way too. Everyone brings food to share, so we don't have to supply it all.

I really thought we'd hit it out of the park on some of the gifts that we bought the kids. That wasn't the case for some of them.

The go cart went over real well... right up until we couldn't get it to start. It was cold out and the choke wasn't working right. I ended up working on it for a while to get it to run again. The kids got a couple of hours of fun out of it before shutting it off to come in and visit with relatives. When they went out later to run it again, it wouldn't start again. I didn't have any more time to work on it, so it has been sitting since. I'm going to get it fixed by a professional one time only. Then it will be up to the kids to maintain it.

The scooter we bought didn't really hold a good charge and my second son was disappointed when it ran out of juice so quickly. I told him to try it for a few more charge cycles and then we will see. If it doesn't run long enough, we will return it and get something else.


















We also bought a "rip stick" for our third son. Only problem there... we don't have paved surface (except in the packed garage) for him to ride it on. So, we need to drive him to a local skate park for him to ride it.



















So, not exactly hitting it out of the park.

The digital cameras and carhart bibs went over well, though. As well as most of the stuff we bought for the little ones. Win some, lose some.

Sometimes I just wish we could forget about all the gift giving and spend the day enjoying each other's company. Put the focus back on the birth of Christ.

Gotta remember that. It's not about the gifts. It's about Christ coming to earth in the form of a man to offer a way back to the Father.

New Year's coming. I go under the knife in 3 days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Hey there - been thinking about you and hoping your surgery went well!

January 06, 2008 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home