Monday, August 13, 2007

Am I Getting THAT Old?!

Got the news a few days ago that one of my best friends is in the hospital. He is awaiting a quadruple bypass operation scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Let me back up a bit...

He recently celebrated his 42nd birthday and went for a check up the next day. I don't know if this was scheduled or if there were indications of a problem. He didn't have a heart attack, although after all his testing, I believe that to be a miracle. He had an MRI done and they found plaque deposits in the neighborhood of 4 times the normal amount. He then came back the next day and failed the stress test. Next step is the heart catheterization with possible stints or balloon angioplasty. Too much blockage discovered, so they decided to keep him in the hospital and schedule to crack him open as soon as they could. Which brings us up to today.

Good news today. The doctors discovered that the neck carotid arteries are not showing blockage. That means no need to pursue treatment for that.

Still waiting on a few tests to come back, but looks like heart rate and blood pressure are fine.

Now he will just sit back and watch Discovery Channel for the next 24 hours in anticipation of the bypass surgery.

Tomorrow morning at @ 10am is when he goes under the knife. Please be praying for my friend! He is a really great guy, but does not know Jesus. He is Jewish by birth and not very religious. He has definitely heard the Gospel, though - another one of our mutual friends laid it all out there for him in an email yesterday.

Makes me think about my age and health. I don't feel old, but I'm sure my body feels like I've treated it in such a way to age it accordingly. My Dad was just over 50 when he had his first heart attack and bypass surgery. I'm not that old yet, but also not in as good a shape as my Dad was. Time to take a good hard look at what I need to do to correct some poor habits. Pray for me as I take up this health and fitness journey again.

Thanks guys! I know I put a lot up here today. Hope you take the time to read it all. Good stuff in three different posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home