Thursday, February 23, 2006

Tuition Blues

I found out a couple of days ago that the school where our kids go is increasing tuition. Dramatically! Like to the tune of $10,000 a year for our family! I know it's still reasonable as far as private school tuition goes, but that's a huge increase in one year.

We aren't going to be able to afford it, so some of the kids won't be going there next year. In fact, only three will be there. That's all we can afford to send. The rest will be homeschooled until we can come up with another plan or more money.

I'm more than a little put out by this news. They waited to send out the re-enrollment packages until it was almost too late to apply to other schools. I don't think that was entirely intentional, but...

So the wife and I struggled with crunching numbers for a couple of days and I finally came up with a plan that should work. It involves selling both of my convertibles, though. I think I may still be able to buy the Solstice GXP (turbo charged) when it comes out in the summer if I work my butt off, but that remains to be seen. For now, I need to sell the cars to get the cash to pay the tuition in full in August. This will give us a 5% discount that we can put toward curriculum for home schooling. It will also eliminate the car and insurance payments that I am currently making.

We get one trip in the Solstice before I sell it. I know that will be fun and rewarding, but will also give me heartache once I fully enjoy all the features of this car that I have loved for so many years (since it was a concept car in 2002).

So if any of you know of someone that wants a used Honda S2000 or a Pontiac Solstice with VERY low miles, let me know. The prices will reflect market value, but be reasonable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

that's got to be tough, Matt... Praying that everything is worked out in this area and that you and wife don't get too overwhelmed with having more kids at home next year.

February 23, 2006 12:37 AM  
Blogger Slicer said...

Wow, you read it almost as soon as I finished typing it!

Thanks for praying. God will provide.

February 23, 2006 12:52 AM  
Blogger The Great Mooski said...

You are doing what's in the best interest for your children and God LOVES that. Your sacrifices won't go unnoticed (please don't work yourself too hard!!).

:-)

February 23, 2006 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home