Saturday, August 27, 2005

Refreshed?!?

I guess if you enjoy driving over 2100 miles in a few days, touring a college campus and walking through kudsu and pine to evaluate tree harvest value...

Really, the trip was good and I think there was a lot gained by the three of us. I don't know if my daughter will choose Auburn, but I think it meant a lot for her to hear the good stuff from several members of the equestrian team and the dean of animal science.

I was reminded of how much I love the friendliness of that town. There are people there from all 50 states and 180 countries. The campus is more diverse than it has ever been. Yet, the "spirit" of Auburn continues, just the way I remembered it... just the way my Mom remembered it. Hopefully the way many of my children will remember it.

2100 miles! I drove almost all of it. In a car with terrible acceleration. Chevrolet can't have meant the Lumina to be a travelling car. I guess a few hundred miles would have been ok, but you've got to rest sometime. I'd definately give the trunk an A though. Plenty of space in there for all our stuff.

That includes all the stuff we bought at Priesters. I'm not a big eater of pecans, but when they cover them in stuff like this... Most people will eat them then. I bought some brittle and pecans covered in key lime flavoring. I doubt I'll get to eat much of it once the kids see it all. I've got it hidden for now, though!

There's a new show on ABC this season called My Kind of Town. For the first episode, they featured the town where my Mom was born - Greenville, AL. They gave everyone in the audience a scooter. I didn't see any while down there because they are still 6 weeks away from delivery. I know this because the wife of the guy who manages my Mom's timberland was there.
While we were in Greenville,we went to the local Winn Dixie and found that it was closing for good. Seems that Winn Dixie has filed bankruptcy and has sold many of it's stores. This particular one had what was left inside on sale for 70-90% off. If we'd had room in the car, I would have bought a lot of stuff... I guess Chevrolet got it right after all...

One of the things I like about travelling in the South is the variety of food. Funny how I formed so many memories related to food while I was down there years ago. When we were out in the countryside, we stopped at a roadside place that served bar-b-que. I'm talking slow cooked ribs and boston butt. They serve it slapped between two slices of white bread (which is almost too soggy to eat, but you still do since it tastes so good!).
On the way home, we stopped outside Atlanta to share lunch with my nephew and some of my favorite friends from Auburn and Drum Corps days. We ate at Olive Garden. Most of us got the soup, salad and breadsticks special. Parts of the salad were a little limp, but overall it was good. The soups were excellent. And the breadsticks... yum! Now to loosen my belt...

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Wow - that's a lot of driving! Sounds like fun, though. I recently did the same kind of a trip with my little sister (the last one to head off to college...). She's a senior this year - but our trip was a three hour drive. :) 2100 miles! whew! :)

August 28, 2005 1:19 PM  
Blogger fatchans said...

Hey Matt. Your travelogue sounds like an entry for the Food Channel. I knew I shouldn't have read your blog. Me and my three slices of turkey breast on stale wheat bread. I'm worse than a bachelor when it comes to eating.

Just got off the phone with Vino and the kids - they're doing OK. Leanne actually ate three chicken thighs for dinner last night (at the friend from the Indian Embassy). Andrew ate about half a whole injera (Ethiopian national dish.)which is about what Vino and I usually eat. Spooky. I'm going to have to take a second job to feed these kids soon.

August 28, 2005 2:38 PM  
Blogger Slicer said...

You won't need a second job, John. Just make your portions smaller...

August 28, 2005 6:56 PM  
Blogger Carmel said...

That southern bbq is good stuff! Glad the trip went well, Matt.

August 31, 2005 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home