Sunday, May 08, 2005

It's Mother's Day

Did you contact your mother today? I worked last night and slept today (out of necessity since I am working tonight - right now in fact). I was hoping to have time to get over to her house and give her a card and flowers, but ran out of time. I called her on the phone a spoke with her a few minutes, at least. We need to pray for our mothers - and for those who have lost theirs.

I think my kids all made cards for mom, but I didn't check. Is that bad of me? I think I treat all holidays this way. It must be my work schedule that dulls me to any special significance of any particular day. I have worked on so many holidays in the last 8 years that every day seems the same as the next. Pray that I will become better at relaying the significance of these standing stones in our life so that the kids will have a foundation to start their own families. Christ has given us days to reflect on things of importance. Honoring our mothers is one of them.

My oldest came by today to do massive amounts of laundry and visit with her mom. I hope they had a chance to talk some. She is still struggling with a lot of stuff. I pray that she will open her eyes to what is really missing in her life (relationship with the Lord). She had to leave before I went to work - seems the boy in the house she is staying in got jealous of her whereabouts again and was throwing her stuff out on the yard. This kid needs to be shaken by his father and informed about the right way to treat girls. They're not even dating. They never have. He just thinks there may someday be a possibility and has become possessive of her. I would go over and shake him myself, but my involvement in her life is limited by how much she will allow me in and that is very little still. Pray for her.

I must admit that I have become increasingly jealous of my neighbor over the last couple of years. He is one of those dads that always seems to be out playing with everyone's kids. He's a great guy and a solid Christian. It just doesn't seem fair that he seems to have all this time to just play. I guess he has gotten his priorities straight and is seeing the fruit of that. I know I shouldn't be jealous. It just doesn't seem right that he gets all the fun. I guess I need to do some more examining in my life to see what I can do differently so that I can be "that dad" more often. Pray for me.

Work continues. It isn't hard at all. Mostly just checking equipment and monitoring the building. Really nothing I should be complaining about. There are some relationship issues with co-workers. Some of that is probably my hardened heart. I really haven't given much evidence of the Reason for which I live lately. I know what to do with my head and what my heart should feel, but I don't seem to have it in me lately. I just seem to be going through the motions of living with minimal joy. Pray for this situation. I need to feel the starvation that my Spirit is going through.

I do have some joy though. The kids sometimes do the funniest things and I am grateful for the laughter. They desperately desire my love and affection and will do the silliest things just to get a smile from me. I think I am more hands on than I used to be, but still not enough. I need to make sure I hug and hold them more often. I'm sure that would help me too.

2 Comments:

Blogger fatchans said...

Hey Matt. I took a vacation day. Your turn!

May 08, 2005 10:42 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Matt - I understand about the work part--not showing the Reason enough. I'll keep you in prayer. As for the rest, I'm not married let alone have a lot of kids, but... I'll pray for you there, too. JESUS has a lot of "kids"--he'll help you figure out how to be the best Daddy, just look to Him. :)

May 09, 2005 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home