Friday, January 14, 2005

Getting Back On Track

Well, finally, I am responding to the Lord's gentle tugging.

I went to church on Sunday (my old church). It's been a LOOOOOONG time since I went there. When I last attended, I was so bruised that I didn't know when I would ever fellowship again. I was amazed (shouldn't have been) at how many of the men literally embraced me. Bear hugs abounded. *where were all these men while I was in the desert?!?*

I really feel that the Lord would have me back at Bible Fellowship Church of Newark. There is so much that needs to be changed in me and in the way they look at ministering to the local Body. Maybe that is why I feel called back there. Is it possible that the Lord wants me (of all people) to assist in the growth of a church body? I feel so under-equipted to handle anything in this area.

I went to the Thursday morning men's prayer breakfast at Arner's yesterday. I shared a little about how Steven Curtis Chapman's book "Speechless" has been affecting me as I am reading it (six years after it was published). I think it was something that a few of the men needed to hear as well. Mostly about how "it is in that wilderness where we learn that we do not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God, that His word is not only the most natural food for our soul but the most necessary." (Ken Gire, Windows of the Soul)

I have been dry for so long. It is only through the ministry of the SCC messageboards, and a few random (and a few purposeful - thanks John) Believers that I have felt the presence of the Lord in my life in recent months. God, however has been faithfully at my side throughout my journey. I know this with all my heart and soul. It is as though I have received nourishing bread and water in my very veins without seeking that nourishment.

Another topic...

I moved three file cabinets down into my basement office today. Not only will this enable me to better sort an file my piles of papers and assorted "stuff", but also it freed up some space in the garage so that I can better organise in there. I also got an inspiration for some shelves near the ceiling in the garage. These will allow for a lot of the clutter on the floor to be raised up out of the way.

We are making progress in the de-clutterization of our lives!!

7 Comments:

Blogger fatchans said...

Hey Matt. I'm really glad to hear this. You probably have no idea how glad I am, but thanks for sharing it.

John C.

January 14, 2005 6:25 PM  
Blogger Slicer said...

You're a big reason that the pit hasn't been deeper, John. Thank you.

January 14, 2005 10:31 PM  
Blogger fatchans said...

Hey Slicer. It looks like neither one of us has developed a huge following. We're so bad at blogging... Maybe we should try clogging instead.

No. I didn't say that. I really did NOT say that.

January 18, 2005 9:24 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hey, *I* read it! And John, you should really update your blog. smile...

You could start clogging and then take pictures and put them on your blogs... and then... well... maybe just stick to the boards... :)

January 19, 2005 8:45 PM  
Blogger Slicer said...

Well, at least it's a conspiracy of three...

January 25, 2005 12:49 PM  
Blogger September said...

Clogging?!?!? Oh my..... lol.

Man, it's alot of work just to be able to post a comment here! I don't stop by here often enough, just every once in awhile when I actually remember.

I think there was something that I actually wanted to comment on when I went through the whole process of registering a blog just so I could make a comment... but now I've forgotten what it was. Hahaha...

January 25, 2005 3:52 PM  
Blogger Slicer said...

come back again when you remember, #9

January 26, 2005 1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home