Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Lots to do...

Well, we're plodding along trying to gain momentum in the renovations of the new house. There's not a lot we can do until the major jobs get going. Only problem is we haven't decided who's doing what.

The roof will have to be done this year. Probably before we move in. This is because the folks who built the house 17 years ago put the cedar shakes directly on plywood. For those who don't know, cedar shakes need to breathe! Needless to say, they are no good for waterproofing the house anymore. We plan to put asphalt shingles on the roof now that look like cedar shakes. We just couldn't afford the real thing at this time (almost $26,000), nor can we afford the metal roof that we originally wanted ($35,000). We have pretty much decided on one contractor, but are waiting for a final price.

Next is windows. We definately need to replace all the existing windows. There are 44! We've got a contractor that will do it for a very good price. The initial quote was pretty high, but we reminded him that he just did the ones in our current home and got a couple of referrals from that, so he worked a better price for us (knocked $3000 off).

Finally, there is the log work. We need to replace about 260 linear feet. In addition to that, we need to pressure wash the entire home and reseal it all. We've got a couple of prices for this and will be going to check out some of the contractors work to be sure which one we will use.

All of this work needs to be lined up as soon as possible. We know the windows are 4 weeks out and the logs are 2 weeks out. So that will put us late into August for the outside to be complete.

So, we are moving on to the interior demo. I'm seriously thinking of moving around the two upstairs full bathrooms. I'd planned on replacing all the fixtures anyway and was also thinking seriously of replacing the copper pipe with CPVC. I'll check with my builder friend about how much trouble all this will be. I'm just not happy with the exposed plumbing that can be seen from the first floor. I want to find a better way to hide it so that the ceiling looks nicer.

We will be tearing out all the carpet and linoleum (sp?) flooring. Then painting ceilings and walls. Once the painting and windows are done, we will put new carpet down.

I contracted to have 40 tons of #57 stone spread on my driveway on Monday. I'll be putting another 40 tons out on Friday. That driveway is really long and has needed substantial repair for some time now. The guy I share road access with is helping by using his front end loader to spread the stone. He's glad to finally have someone to pay to put the stone in. I'm glad to have someone with equipment to spread it. Works out for us both.

We also cut back a hedgerow and some trees this week. I got out the chainsaw and had a good time! Got the boys out with the new lawn mowers (push mowers with front drive). They got the grass cut in under 2 hours. Those are good little mowers. I don't think I'll need a ride on mower for a while now that I have these mowers and willing workers. Saved me a couple thousand dollars for now.

We got all the frogs and the snake out of the basement. My wife used the wetvac to get the accumulated rain water up. I got the sump pump put in and hooked up the dehumidifier. We should have a dry basement soon. I need to get the Bilko doors ordered and installed to help with that.

All in all, it's been a productive week so far. Lots to do in the next couple of days. Hope I can schedule all the major work real soon. Friday, I'll meet with the several contractors to firm up contracts (HVAC, windows, roof, and logs). Also moving some of my oldest daughters stored furniture to it's new storage location in my huge garage. Hopefully, she will soon have her own place and will get it out of my new garage...

So there's the update. I'll try to post some pictures soon and be more faithful in posting updates. Our home internet service has been spotty lately (lovely Comcast). Once we move we will be without internet since Comcast doesn't yet exist where we've moved. We won't even be able to have DSL there yet. I refuse to go back to dialup. Maybe I'll get satellite internet (still investigating that). Until that decision is made, I will do most of my online activities from work (as I am able). I'll let you know what email to contact me by as soon as I decide which I want to use. I'll have my current one (Comcast) for at least the next two months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home