Sunday, October 23, 2005

Mr. Mom

I had the distinct pleasure of parenting solo on Thursday and Friday! *That explains my conspicuous absence from the web and this blog.*
Mom and daughter #3 were on a field trip to Colonial Williamsburg and I was left to hold down the fort. I think I was dreading something that ended up being fairly fun and not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

I started each day bright and early. I had to get my shower before anyone else woke up or else it just wouldn't happen. (sound familiar mom's?!) Then it was "drag the kids out of bed" time. Followed by breakfast and preparing lunches. Then drive the kids to the bus stop (about a mile away). Then back home with the youngest three... you get the drift. This is the pattern my wife follows most every day. Not an especially difficult schedule, but you have to really manage the time if you want to be able to do anything besides care for the kids.

I was able to get 6 or 7 loads of laundry through the machines (I didn't fold - that's the older girls chore currently), kept all the kids fed and clothed, etc, etc.

So anyway, the wife really enjoyed her time without the extra appendages. She was able to eat at a leisurely pace and not prepare anything for anyone but herself. I told her that she should be good to go for the next 5 years! She's not buyin' it, and I don't blame her.

Needless to say, I was unable to spend much time doing much else. I would like to get some pictures of the deck on here (per John's request). That will have to wait until the weather breaks. I also need to run a few errands and get some material for the next few projects.

I replaced the inner workings of two toilets a few days ago. There was leakage through the valves of both and now there is not. Just doing my part to conserve water (and lower my bills).

Next is spreading topsoil on sections of the back yard, tilling it in, balancing the pH, etc and then seeding and waiting for the perfect lawn. Also need to add some pavers from the deck entrance to connect with the path out of the back yard. Then weeding of the flower beds (actually my wife is in charge of that), and planting new stuff there. Mulching the beds will come about after all the leaves finish falling and are raked up.

On a side note:
There is a man I know who has been an incredible witness to Christ in my life. His wife has been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes these last three years and she finally went home to be with her Savior Thursday morning. When you get to heaven, you will meet these two, I have no doubt. Anyway, please pray for Jim and the rest of the family as they go through the process of all that the death of a loved one entails.

1 Comments:

Blogger fatchans said...

Hey Mister Mom. Yeah, you in the bananamobile. You're doing a great job.

October 26, 2005 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home