Friday, July 11, 2008

Coming Soon...

There's something in the works that I'm getting really excited about.
Lots of details to work out! New territory for me! Big time expansion of my borders and stretching of my faith and abilities.

I'm scared and jazzed at the same time about this project.

Please pray that I will take those bold steps to get moving on what the Lord has put on my heart.

Thanks!




One other thing...

I was catching up on my reading. Old issue of CCM magazine. Editor, Jay Swartzendruber's column in the July 2007 issue (I know! I'm way behind!).

In the column, Jay is talking about how he has a tendency toward being a "super fan". He quotes William Wilberforce's book "Real Christianity" as follows

"It is undeniably clear that, in the judgement of the Word of God, the love of worldly admiration and applause is basically corrupt. For it tends to exalt and aggrandize ourselves; to pride ourselves on our natural or acquired endowments; or to assume credit and merit for our own qualities. It chooses this self-esteem instead of ascribing all honor and glory where they are due. It is false, therefore because it exalts that which we should demean. It is also criminal because it intrudes on the privilege of God."

Jay uses this quote to bring about his point which is to say that when we are speaking of those performers we love so much it is easy to place them on a pedestal. By doing this we are actually making them an idol. We don't mean to do this, it just happens.

Here's how Jay puts it:
"When I love someone's work or performance, I love it... often becoming enamored with who that influencer is. Yes, a super fan. When I'm at my best, I'm celebrating God's creativity and gifts as expressed through those whom He's created. When I'm at my worst, well... let's call a spade a spade, I'm committing idolatry. And if I'm doing that in the presence of an artist and directing it at them, it's safe to say I'm not urging them toward humility.
All that to say, there's a way to affirm people in their gifts, speaking life into their vocations and passions, without encouraging them to "exalt or aggrandize" themselves."

That is what I want to do. Affirm people in their gifts and urge them toward humility.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Hey, I read this the other day and tried to post but for some reason didn't. Just want to say I'm excited to see what your news is. ;) I, like Kelby, have a guess, but I'm going to wait to see if I'm right! :)

July 12, 2008 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home