Thursday, February 26, 2009

David Lipscomb update

David lost his battle with cancer this week... or should I say he is now victorious with Jesus...

I got the news yesterday morning and have taken a day to gather myself and decide what to post. I have only met the family on a couple of occasions, so I don't really know them. I have emailed back and forth with Robi and their son DJ concerning a concert with The Following. That is pretty much the extent of our interactions over the last couple of years. Robi and I conversed over the web a little about David. Mostly just updates, but since the Caring Bridge site went active, that was where I was updated more.

I am affected by this family. David's testimony in the face of such a horrible thing as pancreatic cancer is an inspiration. The way he affected and influenced so many others in his consistent witness - that his desire was to see Jesus' fame spread through his suffering - I find this to be incredible. I don't know that I would be able to show this reflection of Christ in the same situation.

Much to ponder and pray about.

Here is the most current post from David's Caring Bridge site posted yesterday around noon:

10 days ago David was enjoying Coke floats, Coke in a bottle, talks with friends and family. In the past 48 hours David has been unable to even drink from a straw or chew ice chips.
The past few days have been gut wrenching.

This morning at around 10:30 AM David left here and joined the best celebration ever and I could not be happier for him.

Don't get me wrong, my heart is broken and I am bawling my eyes out, but I am soooo glad David is no longer suffering.

Last night was a long night. David's breathing was labored and difficult. At around 5 AM he had a high fever, but was still in a deep sleep. When I got up this morning, I talked to my Mom and she encouraged me to tell David it was OK for him to go. I hung up the phone and went into our room and told David how much we loved him, that we know how much he loved us. I told him I knew this part of the journey was hard for him and it was hard for us too. I told him we were all ready for him to go so he should go when ever he was ready to be in paradise. Just then the phone rang and it was DJ. We talked for just a few minutes. I walked back to the bedroom and waited for David to breath. And waited and waited.. then I realized he was gone.

I have to admit we are sitting around right now playing funny stuff on utube. I guess I will make a list some of those at some point now that I said that. Anyway what I meant to say is here is some general information you may be wondering about.

We are planning to have a celebration of David's life here in the Nashville area and a second one in Houston Texas. I will update with the details soon.

Prayers:
Please thank God for His mercy, His kindness and His blessings. Pray for our family. Pray that David's life shines on in the thousands of children he helped get sponsored, the dozens of Chin'o girls who have families thanks to his influence, the kids who look at their Bible on a regular basis thanks to his time at Teen CBS.... OK this list could go on for days - yeah just say thanks.

Thank you for your prayers this day.

Love from Robi and all the Lipscomb family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home